AACOM is pleased to share that
the 2020 AACOMAS application cycle will open for submissions on Thursday, May 2, 2019.
Medical Schools will begin to receive applicant data from AACOMAS on Friday, June 14, 2019. The
initial application fee remains flat at $195 for the primary application and
one college designation and $45 for each additional college designation.
All students seeking to explore osteopathic medicine should look at the resources at https://choosedo.org/. 2019-2020 Application Deadlines by college can be found here: choosedo.org/college-application-deadlines.
Applicants are encouraged to explore the 35 colleges of osteopathic medicine and their pages in the Student Guide to Osteopathic Medical Colleges.
Key Updates to the
2019-2020 AACOMAS Application cycle:
- The Personal Statement Character length has increased from 4,500 characters to 5,300 characters.
- We have one new college designation: California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine.
In the coming months, AACOM is thrilled to be launching an online search database as a companion to the Student Guide to Osteopathic Medical Colleges. This database will allow prospective applicants to view and compare colleges of osteopathic medicine through key data points, such as location, campus setting, dual degrees and more. We will update you as soon as this resource is made available.
The 2020 AMCAS application cycle will be opening on Wednesday, May 1. Applicants will be able to submit their applications beginning Thursday, May 30. Finally, AMCAS will start transmitting applicant data to medical schools on Friday, June 28. Applicants can now prepare for this year’s cycle by reviewing the 2020 AMCAS Applicant Guide and Participating Medical Schools and Deadlines. Furthermore, the AMCAS web content will reflect 2020 cycle information by Monday, April 22.
SUNY Optometry has announced that registration for their Spring Open House is now available:
- Spring Open House – Great opportunity to explore the profession by meeting faculty members, learning what it is like to be an optometry student by interacting with current students, and learning tips on how to build a competitive application.
- Date: Thursday, May 30th, 2019, 9:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Students are welcome to bring up to 2 guests for any of the events. Any questions should be directed to the General Admissions email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A “gap year” is the period of time between the end of your undergraduate education and the start of medical school. In fact, a gap year might be a year or more, depending on each person’s particular circumstances.
What should I focus on accomplishing during my gap year?
Congratulations to the newly elected officers of the Association of Pre-Med Students for 2019-2020!
President: Alyssa Reese
Vice President: Anthony Martino
Treasurer: Bisar Nezha
Secretary: Naaiema Khan
Chief Shadowing Coordinator: Gina George
Emergency Expediter: Gabriella Andreani
Volunteer Coordinator: Mengdi Zhang
Public Relations: Rose Pajek
From the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges:
Keep Up With All The Webinar & Lecture Schedules
The Road to
Audience : Pre-Veterinary Students / Pre-Vet &
Summary : The Road to Veterinary School can seem like a long and
arduous process. This session will ease some of the planning anxiety with easy
to remember recommendations on how to prepare for your future application to
Presenter: Tony Wynne, Director, the Veterinary Medical College Application
22, 2019 @ 1:00PM Eastern Time
VMCAS 2020 Workshop
Audience : Applicants to the VMCAS 2020 Application
Summary : Join VMCAS for a VMCAS 2020 Application Workshop. Come ask
questions about the application, troubleshoot, and generally learn about the
May 17, 2019 @ 11:00AM Eastern Time
The 2019 edition of the Medical School Admission Requirements for the United States and Canada™ (MSAR ®) website (www.aamc.org/msar) has been released with updated dates and deadlines for the 2020 matriculating class! Students with a current subscription will automatically receive the updates.
In this edition, you’ll find
new data and enhanced features including:
- Letter of Evaluation Preference which includes space to indicate which letter types are preferred, accepted, and not accepted by each medical school
- Applications Accepted where schools clarify their policies for accepting out-of-state and international students and explain additional admissions policies and procedures
- Application Timeline a section created at the request of GSA Committee on Admissions so that schools can include details about their application protocols and dates
- Expanded Canadian data provided to us from the AFMC
- Expanded Data with most charts displaying three years of data so users can toggle between all three years or compare them side by side.
- An updated favorites list that includes an option to indicate if students are “considering” or “applying” as well as the reason why, and
- The ability for subscribers to enter their overall GPA and total MCAT score and view their on each school’s charts
Three new LCME-preliminarily
accredited medical schools have also been added:
- Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
- NYU Long Island School of Medicine
- TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine
The Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center (EPAC)
where The Office of Prehealth Advising resides will be moving its physical
location effective Monday, March 18. The new space is 112 Capen, just
inside the 1st floor of the Capen Undergraduate Library. The
actual packing of the office in Norton will begin this Thursday, March
14. We realize this move coincides with the deadline for the spring 2019
Prehealth Committee application set for midnight (11:59:59pm) Friday, March
15. We will do our best to answer your emails related to the Prehealth
Committee application during this transition period. There will be plenty
of signage in Norton and Capen directing students and faculty/staff to our new
office location. Our phone numbers will remain the same.
ADEA AADSAS® (ADEA
Associated American Dental Schools Application Service) provides information
and resources for individuals applying to dental school. See below for
important changes and details regarding the 2019–20 application cycle.
New Participating Schools
- The University of Toronto Faculty of Dentistry will be accepting applicants to their dental programs through ADEA AADSAS. The ADEA AADSAS application will be open to both U.S. and Canadian applicants.
Gender Question Changes
- In keeping with societal changes and representing inclusiveness, the gender question in ADEA AADSAS will be different in the upcoming cycle. The new question format is noted below:
- What is your biological sex? Male, Female, Other, Decline to State
- Gender Identity. I identify as: Man, Woman, Non-binary, Prefer Not to Answer, Other (allows for self-description).
- ADEA AADSAS will have a soft launch on May 14. The soft launch allows applicants three weeks to work on the application before they can official submit starting on June 4.
- Registration opens soon for the 2019 ADEA GoDental Virtual Fairs on May 22 and 23. Day one of the event, on May 22, provides applicants with more information about the application process, while May 23 gives them an opportunity to interact with participating dental school admissions officers.
for the Application Cycle
- The fees for the 2019–20 application cycle are $251 for the first designation and $108 each additional designation.
The Physician Assistant Virtual Fair will be held on Tuesday, April 9, from 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. ET. This is a free event for all students who are interested in exploring a career as a PA.
Registration is FREE.
At this year’s fair, you’ll
be able to:
- Discover the profession’s history and what makes it one of the top health professions
- Learn insider tips on how to prepare for that crucial PA program interview
- Chat with representatives from more than 50 schools, PAEA, and CASPA
- Attend live presentations and Q&As (or access the recordings on-demand) from current students and practicing PAs
- And more!
REGISTER NOW to attend
the FREE Physician Assistant Virtual Fair on April 9. Connect in real-time with
55+ PA programs nationwide!