UB Freshmen “Prehealth 101” Small Group Advising (all rooms – 104D Norton)
- Thursday, September 14, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 20, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 26, 2:00-3:30 p.m.
- Monday, October 2, 2:00-3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 4, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 10, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 12, 2:00-3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 18, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 24, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 25, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 31, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 8, 2:30-4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 15, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, November 16, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 20, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
See Getting Started for more information about steps freshmen should be considering to prepare for admission to professional schools.
- Saturday, September 16, 1:00-3:30 p.m. South Lake Community Building
Sponsored by APMS, AED, PDA, PMWB, and MAPS. Come meet members of the prehealth clubs, the prehealth staff, current medical and dental students, and other prehealth students in a more informal environment. You are welcome to stop in at any time throughout the event.
So You Want to be a Doctor, Dentist, Vet, Chiropractor, Optometrist, Podiatrist, or Physician’s Assistant?
- Wednesday, September 13, 4:00-5:00 p.m. 210 Student Union
- Thursday, November 2, 3:30-4:30 p.m. 330 Student Union
If you are a freshman, sophomore, or just beginning to think about applying to the professional health schools (e.g., medical school, vet school, dental school), come to this workshop to learn what you can be doing NOW to prepare. Learn how you can become a competitive applicant for admission to these schools by knowing the required courses, information about clinical experiences, recommendation letters, and admission tests. You also want to begin to reflect upon your personal characteristics and consider how these relate to being a health professional.
Interview Like a Pro for the Professional Health Schools
- Tuesday, September 19, 4:00-5:30 p.m. 210 Student Union
How you interview is an important part of the professional health school admission process. Learn strategies to interview like a “pro” from UB’s prehealth advisors and an interview specialist from Career Services. Hear from a panel of students who have successfully interviewed for admission to the professional health schools. *Come to the workshop “dressed for success”, as you would for an interview, as appropriate interview attire will be discussed!*
What are Post-Bac Programs and What Do I Need to Know About Them?
- Wednesday, October 11, 4:00-5:00 p.m. 145C Student Union
As admission to the professional health schools (e.g. medicine, dentistry) becomes increasingly competitive, a greater number of applicants are enrolling in post-bac (post-baccalaureate) programs to help enhance their academic credentials. Consider attending this workshop to learn about the various types of post-bac programs that exist, how to research them, and subsequently make a truly informed decision about the various ways you can increase your credentials to be a competitive applicant.
Prehealth Committee Student Information Meetings
- Thursday, October 26, 4:00–5:00 p.m. 210 Student Union
- Wednesday, November 1, 4:00–5:00 p.m. 210 Student Union
- Tuesday, November 14, 3:30-4:30 p.m. 210 Student Union
The Prehealth Committee Student Meetings are designed to provide you with all you need to know for applying for a Prehealth Committee Letter and detail how the process will work. The application deadline is March 15, 2018, so be sure to attend one of these meetings to sign your intent card!
Preparing for Fall 2019 Application to the Professional Health Schools
- Thursday, November 9, 4:00–5:30 p.m. Location TBD
Are you ready to apply for admission for Fall of 2019? Do you know what you need to do to submit a complete and competitive application? The Prehealth Committee process? The timelines? Get an overview of the APPLICATION CYCLE for ALL (medical, dental, optometry, podiatry, chiropractic, vet). A detailed handbook will be distributed describing your responsibilities, key deadlines, information regarding your personal statement, admissions tests, etc. Important information for ALL applicants!