UB Freshmen “Prehealth 101” Small Group Advising (all rooms – 104D Norton)
*First-year prehealth students will receive an e-mail with directions on how to sign up.*
- Thursday, March 1, 12:30-1:50 p.m.
- Monday, March 5, 3:00-4:20 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 7, 2:00-3:20 p.m.
- Monday, March 12, 3:30-4:50 p.m.
- Friday, March 16, 1:00-2:20 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 28, 3:30-4:50 p.m.
- Friday, March 30, 2:00-3:20 p.m.
- Monday, April 2, 11:00 a.m.-12:20 p.m.
- Thursday, April 5, 2:00-3:20 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 10, 12:30-1:50 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 11, 3:00-4:20 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 17, 3:30-4:50 p.m.
- Thursday, April 19, 3:00-4:20 p.m.
- Friday, April 27, 3:00-4:20 p.m.
Each small group will have a capacity of at most 12 students. Signing up in advance of a preferred session is strongly recommended to secure your spot.
If you are unable to attend a session in Spring 2018, another option would be attend one of the “So You Want to be…” workshops. Please see the listing below for dates and times.
See Getting Started for more information about steps freshmen should be considering to prepare for admission to professional schools.
Prehealth 201 Informational Sessions for Sophomores
- Saturday, February 24, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. 101 Baldy Hall
- Thursday, March 29, 6:00-7:00 p.m. 212 O’Brian Hall
- Tuesday, April 24, 2:00-3:00 p.m. 212 O’Brian Hall
If you attended a Prehealth 101 session (or even if you did not) and are continuing to pursue your goal of a professional health career (e.g., medicine, dentistry, veterinary, etc.), attend this session to learn about all the unique considerations that prehealth sophomore students should be contemplating. Topics such as study abroad, GPA patterns and trends, recommendation letters and more will be discussed. Use the session as a way to “stay on track” toward your goals and see what aspects of your application need further development.
So You Want to be a Doctor, Dentist, Vet, Chiropractor, Optometrist, Podiatrist, or Physician’s Assistant?
- Tuesday, March 13, 3:30-4:30 p.m. 210 Student Union
- Wednesday, April 4, 2:00-3:00 p.m. 228 Student Union
If you are a freshman, sophomore, or just beginning to think about applying to the professional health schools (e.g., medical school, vet school, dental school), come to this workshop to learn what you can be doing NOW to prepare. Learn how you can become a competitive applicant for admission to these schools by knowing the required courses, information about clinical experiences, recommendation letters, and admission tests. You also want to begin to reflect upon your personal characteristics and consider how these relate to being a health professional.
Writing the Personal Statement
- Wednesday, February 7, 4:00-5:30 p.m. 210 Student Union
Your personal statement for application to the professional health schools (medical, dental, veterinary, optometry) is required and an *important* piece of your total application. Learn the DOs and DON’Ts of writing an EFFECTIVE essay that reflects all you have to offer. Get an opportunity to read and critique samples of personal statements. A detailed handbook for reference will be distributed.
Prehealth Committee Student Information Meetings
- Thursday, February 8, 4:00–5:00 p.m. 228 Student Union
- Wednesday, February 14, 2:00–3:00 p.m. 145A Student Union
- Monday, February 19, 4:00-5:00 p.m. 228 Student Union
- Thursday, February 22, 5:30-6:30 p.m. 210 Student Union
- Tuesday, February 27, 3:30-4:30 p.m. 210 Student Union
The Prehealth Committee Student Meetings are designed to provide you with all you need to know for applying for a Prehealth Committee Letter and detail how the process will work. The application deadline is March 15, 2018, so be sure to attend one of these meetings to sign your intent card!
Preparing for Fall 2019 Application to the Professional Health Schools
- Thursday, April 26, 4:00–5:30 p.m. 228 Student Union
Are you ready to apply for admission for Fall of 2019? Do you know what you need to do to submit a complete and competitive application? The Prehealth Committee process? The timelines? Get an overview of the APPLICATION CYCLE for ALL (medical, dental, optometry, podiatry, chiropractic, vet). A detailed handbook will be distributed describing your responsibilities, key deadlines, information regarding your personal statement, admissions tests, etc. Important information for ALL applicants!
Tour of the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Friday, April 13, 3:00-5:00
Details for the tour will be announced in late March via the prehealth e-mail list. The tour will be capped at 30 participants and an RSVP will be required. A waitlist will be kept for any additional students who would like to attend. If you are on the list to attend and then are not able to do so, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can give your spot to the next person on the waitlist.