Preprofessional Health Advisement
If you are interested in learning more about professional health careers, are asking questions such as, “What do I need to do?” & “What do I need to know?” and are asking yourself, “Do I have what it takes?”, then this page is the place for you! Whether you are a UB freshman or sophomore, high school student, high school counselor, or parent of a student, you will find the basics of what you need to know on this page. Please watch the videos, read the handbooks on this page, and FAQ. Keep in mind our office advises for the following preprofessional health careers: medicine, dental medicine, veterinary, optometry, podiatry, chiropractic and physician’s assistant. Other offices on campus exist for the advisement of pharmacy, nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and exercise science. See advising.buffalo.edu for their contact information.
NEW!!! Introducing “Pathway to Prehealth” for UB Freshmen
The Prehealth Advising staff is excited to announce our new small group advising sessions specifically for freshmen throughout each semester called “Pathway to Prehealth Advising". UB prehealth freshmen *must* attend one small group advising session prior to scheduling an individual appointment with a prehealth advisor.
Each small group will have a capacity of 10 students and multiple sessions across various days and times are offered. Students may sign up on a first come first served basis by calling Student Advising Services up to 2 weeks prior to each session. Call 716-645-6012 or 716-645-6013.
Again, the sessions are designed for freshmen only. Space permitting, students may sign up to attend at the start of an actual session, in Student Advising Services, located at 104 D Norton Hal, unless otherwise noted. If arriving late, students may be asked to sign up for another session.
- Thu, Sept. 17 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Wed, Sept. 23 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Tue, Sept. 29 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
- Wed, Oct. 7 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Thu, Oct. 8 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Tue, Oct. 13 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Thu, Oct. 15 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. - 107 Capen
- Wed, Oct. 21 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Thu, Oct. 22 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Tue, Oct. 27 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Wed, Oct. 28 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Tue, Nov. 3 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Wed, Nov. 4 2:30 - 4:00 p.m.
- Tue, Nov. 10 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Wed, Nov. 11 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Thu, Nov. 19 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Mon, Nov. 23 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Resources for Exploring Health Careers
General Prehealth Information
- High School Students
- Freshman/Sophomore Handbook (PDF)
- Prehealth Services (includes Prehealth Student Organizations)
- Prehealth Links
- Recommended Reading (PDF)
Acquiring Clinical Exposure (Volunteering and Shadowing) and Research
- Volunteer Opportunities for Prehealth Students (PDF)
- Summer Opportunities in Health Care Handbook (PDF)
- National and International Opportunities for Prehealth Students (PDF)
- Finding Research Opportunities (PDF)
- Physician Shadowing (PDF)
As requirements and deadlines for programs can change over time, please be sure to review this website thoroughly and consult a prehealth advisor for up-to-date information regarding the programs you are interested in, including Early Assurance Programs (medical and dental) and the Combined BS/DDS Degree Program.
Last updated: October 06 2015 12:46:58.