The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a free summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions. SHPEP’s goal is to strengthen the academic proficiency and career development of students underrepresented in the health professions and to prepare them for a successful application and matriculation to health professions schools. SHPEP, formerly known as the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP), expanded in 2016 to include a broader array of health professions—part of an effort by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) that works to build a Culture of Health.
Below is information on upcoming webinars as part of National ASDA Predental Month in October. All webinars will be recorded for registrants to access later.
Some of the listed webinars are free for ASDA members only.
Oct. 3, 7 – 8:30 p.m. CDT
DAT resources & study habits
Oct. 10, 7 – 8:30 p.m. CDT
Paying for dental school
Oct. 16, 7 – 8:30 p.m. CDT
Free for ASDA members only
Scholarships for aspiring dental students
Oct. 17, 7 – 8:30 p.m. CDT
Interviewing for dental school (live mock interview)
Oct. 23, 7 – 8:30 p.m. CDT
Free for ASDA members only
Non-traditional paths to dental school
Oct. 24, 7 – 8:30 p.m. CDT
Free for ASDA members only
Brian Jones, membership development manager
American Student Dental Association
211 E. Chicago Ave., Suite 700 | Chicago, IL 60611
312-440-2841 | ASDAnet.org
Students interested in osteopathic medicine, pharmacy, and dental medicine are cordially invited to attend an Open House at one of the three locations of the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM):
Saturday, November 11, in Bradenton, FL
Friday, November 17, in Greensburg, PA
Saturday, November 18, in Erie, PA
At this event you will have the opportunity to learn more about LECOM and all that it has to offer. In addition to demonstrations and tours, there will be plenty of time to speak directly with our students, faculty, and staff. Families and friends are welcome. We ask that you choose a location and then RSVP as instructed through the link below:
If you have any questions or cannot attend the event but would still like information regarding LECOM, please contact me or visit our website at www.lecom.edu. For additional information, you may also search for LECOM in the Apple App Store on your iPhone or iPad or download the LECOM app through Google plan on your Android smartphone or tablet.
Webinar: Predental wellness: Dealing with rejection – Register
Date: September 11, 2017, 7-8:30pm CDT
Description: Only 50% of applicants are accepted into dental school each year, leaving the remaining half of applicants dejected. In extreme cases, some of those are at risk for depression, anxiety and a loss of ambition. The panelists for this webinar will teach you how to develop strong habits and healthy ways to respond to rejection. In addition, a dental student will share their own personal journey of overcoming initial rejection and eventually gaining acceptance into dental school.
Erica Ashauer, M.A., director of health professions advising at Elmhurst College
Sable Muntean, LECOM ’18
To assist applicants in successfully submitting and completing their ADEA AADSAS® application, the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fairs will open as “ADEA AADSAS Live” for one additional day on Monday, August 7.
All current dental school applicants are invited to join ADEA AADSAS Live—a free, online event for current applicants to chat live directly with customer service representatives regarding the application.
In addition to ADEA AADSAS customer service staff, dedicated experts will be available during the event to offer tips and answer questions about specific topics, including:
- Fee Assistance Program (FAP) | 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Personal Statement | 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Letters of Evaluation | 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Financing a Dental Education | 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Those applicants who registered for or attended the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fairs on May 21 or June 15 do not need to register again, and will automatically receive information about logging in on August 7, 2017.
Applicants who did not participate in the 2017 ADEA GoDental Virtual Fairs will need register to access the event.
The American Dental Education Association Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (ADEA AADSAS®) is now open on a redesigned platform.
Here are five tips to help you successfully complete the application to dental school.
- Don’t wait on transcripts, DAT or letters of evaluation to submit. While transcripts are a required part of the application, they are not necessary in order to submit the application. Applicants can submit and continue to monitor the receipt of all post-secondary transcripts.
- Complete the program materials section. The program materials section is new this year. Many schools ask applicants to respond to questions specific to their institutions and to indicate which of their courses fulfill the school’s prerequisites. This section is required and must be completed before the application is submitted.
- Check messages in the application. ADEA AADSAS posts messages in the application. If there is an error with the application or the applicant status has changed, the applicant will receive a note. Applicants should check in regularly to ensure they haven’t missed any critical information.
- Use an updated resume to complete the experiences and achievements sections. While applicants typically work on the experiences and achievements sections last, there’s no need to wait. Updated resumes are a great roadmap to complete these sections.
- Have the personal statement edited by an advisor or peer. The personal statement will be sent to each dental school where an applicant applies. In order to ensure it is a good reflection of character and that there are no grammatical errors, applicants should have the personal statement reviewed by an advisor or other trusted individual who will be able to provide helpful feedback.
Note: Applicants who submit by August 1, 2017 will be invited to “Interviews With Five U.S. Dental Schools,” an exclusive, live webinar to gain first-hand interview tips from dental school admissions staff.
If you have questions or concerns about the application, contact ADEA AADSAS customer service at email@example.com or 617-612-2045.
The School of Dental Medicine has completed the first phase of a $25 million renovation of the school’s pre-clinical simulation center and patient clinics.
The 2018 ADEA Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (ADEA AADSAS®) cycle is open! Applicants can now begin applying online.
Webinar: Apply yourself – mastering the AADSAS
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Free for ASDA members, $10 for non-members
With each dental school receiving thousands of applications each year, what will you do to stand out? Join dental students as they tell their acceptance story and walk you step-by-step through the application to dental school. In addition, learn from a dental school assistant dean for admissions on how to distinguish yourself from the competition.
Riki Gottlieb, DMD, MS, assistant dean for admissions, VCU School of Dentistry
Sable Muntean, LECOM `18, 2016-17 chapter president
Craig McKenzie, Pennsylvania `21, 2016-17 predental consultant