Predental students —
Are you interested in a different type of international trip? Join a team of researchers, faculty, and students to Israel to be part of a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to better understand how knowledge in craniofacial development can inform us about archaeology and anthropology. The research team has published preliminary findings in Nature (28 January 2015) that has garnered interest around the world. Additional information can be gleaned from the project Facebook page (manotcaveproject).
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine is a partner in this dig and is organizing two volunteer student groups to assist in the research in the month of July. The costs for participation are $1,000 plus travel costs if the student wants to stay for 2 weeks or $1,500 plus travel for 3 weeks. Meals and lodging are included. DEADLINE: April 1, 2017.
For specific details and information, please contact Yvonne McDermott (firstname.lastname@example.org , subjection “Manot 2017”). Note that spaces filled up quickly last year for this opportunity.
The Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (ADEA AADSAS®) will transition to the 3.X application platform for the 2018 application cycle. The ADEA AADSAS application opens on June 1 and complete instructions will be available on ADEA GoDental in late March.
The new application features an enhanced user experience and interface, improved application flow, updated coursework entry functionality, interactive messaging, and dental school customization options. ADEA AADSAS applicants will benefit from this new, streamlined process, and will have access to each school’s listings and requirements, individually customized through the platform.
Important Changes for the 2018 ADEA AADSAS Application Cycle:
- Applicants can match their courses to fulfill prerequisite course requirements for a particular school before submitting their application to a dental school.
- Applicants can request transcripts from World Education Services (WES) and Educational Credential Evaluation (ECE) directly within the application, eliminating sending documents by mail.
- Applicants reapplying to 2018 ADEA AADSAS will not be able to carry over their information from the previous cycle. However, moving forward, re-applicants will be able to carry their information from the previous cycle.
Important ADEA AADSAS Dates for 2017 (all times listed are in Eastern Time)
- May 21: ADEA AADSAS Prep Day Virtual Fair*, from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. (ADEA AADSAS staff available to speak with students.)
- June 1: 2018 ADEA AADSAS application opens for applicants, by noon.
- June 15: ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair*, from 2:00 to 8:00 p.m. (Dental school admissions officers available to speak with students.)
*Registration is now open at http://www.adea.org/gdvf17/
Make your statement personal (webinar)
March 15, 2017
7:00 – 8:30 p.m. CDT
Free for members; $10 for non-members*
Your personal statement is your big opportunity to demonstrate your enthusiasm, potential and suitability for dental school. The more competitive the school is, the more likely your personal statement could be the deciding factor. Learn from a group of panelists on how to craft a memorable statement that is personal to you.
||Kay H. Malone III, DDS, FAGD, Admissions Advisor, UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Kyle Larsen, Colorado ’17, 2015-16 District 9 trustee
Mackenzie Bates, Virginia Tech ’17
*Join ASDA today for $63 and receive access to all ASDA webinars plus many other benefits.
UB Pre-dental students are invited to attend the Spring 2017 Impressions Day & Open House on Saturday, March 11, 2017 from 11:00am – 3:00pm.
This event is sponsored by the Buffalo Chapter of the American Student Dental Association [ASDA].
During the day, prospective students will have the chance to meet with faculty, admissions officers, and current dental students. Additionally, they’ll receive a tour of the dental school and learn more about joining ASDA.
Lunch is included and students will be provided a parting gift.
- If a participant is already an ASDA member, no event registration fee is required.
- For Non-ASDA Members, there is a $15 registration fee required. This fee goes directly to the ASDA Buffalo Chapter so they can continue to offer dental outreach opportunities (i.e. waxing seminar, impressions day).
Please contact Maria Mangine DDS ‘18, our Buffalo ASDA Pre-Dental President, for more information.
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
The UB Student National Medical Association (SNMA) and CSTEP are co-sponsoring “Preparing for Medical & Dental School” on Saturday, March 4, 2017 from 9:00am – 3:00pm in the UB Jacobs School of Medicine – 150 Farber Hall (Butler Auditorium). This event is FREE and open to all students.
Why should you attend:
- If you are thinking about or interested in a career in medicine
- To learn important information about the medical school application process, the interview process and medical student life from current UB medical school students, local physicians, admissions staff and medical faculty.
- To hear from Kaplan regarding the MCAT
- Experience hands-on lab activities
This is a great chance for students interested in applying for medical school to meet and speak directly with current physicians, medical students, faculty, admissions staff, see labs within UB’s Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, and complete hands-activities.
Please register at tinyurl.com/rxmedicine or at this LINK by Monday, February 27th.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Dozens of pirates armed with swords, eye-patches and tricorns loaded into the lobby of Squire Hall with a single goal: to give hundreds of Buffalo children healthy smiles.
Read the rest of the article here.
The American Student Dental Association (ASDA) is pleased to announce an exciting new benefit for predental members: the ASDA Season Pass. The Pass gives predental members access to a catalog of complimentary webinars throughout the year. Each webinar offers timely and relevant information about the dental school application process. Nonmembers can join the webinars at $10 each – but joining as a member means you receive access to all these webinars at no cost, along with a variety of other benefits.
The 2017 Season Pass includes these webinars that will address every major component of the predental timeline:
- Choosing the right dental school – January 25 – Register now!
- Writing your personal statement – March
- Dissecting the DAT – April
- Apply yourself: Mastering the AADSAS – May
- What to expect in your first year of dental school – June
- Interviewing for dental school – August
- Non-traditional paths to dental school – October
Not a member? Join ASDA now to access these and other webinars (at least 10 webinars will be offered this year).
In addition, you’ll gain access to a wealth of additional member benefits, including DAT study materials, ASDA publications, and discounts on school supplies and car insurance. At just $63 a year, it’s a worthwhile investment in your future.
Are you a college freshman or sophomore seeking a summer career-enrichment opportunity within the health professions? Register today to join the upcoming Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) webinar and get an in-depth look into all the program has to offer. The webinar will occur Thursday, January 26, 2017 @ 5 PM EST. Register today for the SHPEP webinar to learn the first-hand experience of past SHPEP scholars who successfully completed the 6-week summer career-enrichment experience! Webinar panelists will include SHPEP alumni and ambassadors who will discuss the academic possibilities they obtained, thanks to their educational experience at the SHPEP. The University of Iowa will also offer great tips and insight to potential applicants eager to apply.
Formerly SMDEP (Summer Medical and Dental Education Program), the program expanded in 2016 to include a broader range of health professions beyond medicine and dentistry to include pharmacy, nursing, optometry, public health, physical therapy and physician assistant. Participation in the summer enrichment program may better position students for acceptance into advanced degree programs. Students should visit www.shpep.org to learn more and apply to the SHPEP today. The application deadline is March 1, 2017.
Choosing the right dental school (2017)
Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2017
7:00-8:30 p.m. CST
Free for members, $10 for non-members
One of the most important decisions that you will have to make is what dental school to attend. Panelists will share their experiences and advice on choosing the right dental school and what factors to consider when making that choice. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions of any of the panelists.
||David Liberman, Pennsylvania ’19
Lynn Doan, Colorado ’20
Reinol Gonzalez, Florida ’20
Ryane Staples, Connecticut ’20