Are you a college freshman or sophomore seeking a summer career-enrichment opportunity within the health professions? Register today to join the upcoming Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) webinar and get an in-depth look into all the program has to offer. The webinar will occur Thursday, January 26, 2017 @ 5 PM EST. Register today for the SHPEP webinar to learn the first-hand experience of past SHPEP scholars who successfully completed the 6-week summer career-enrichment experience! Webinar panelists will include SHPEP alumni and ambassadors who will discuss the academic possibilities they obtained, thanks to their educational experience at the SHPEP. The University of Iowa will also offer great tips and insight to potential applicants eager to apply.
Formerly SMDEP (Summer Medical and Dental Education Program), the program expanded in 2016 to include a broader range of health professions beyond medicine and dentistry to include pharmacy, nursing, optometry, public health, physical therapy and physician assistant. Participation in the summer enrichment program may better position students for acceptance into advanced degree programs. Students should visit www.shpep.org to learn more and apply to the SHPEP today. The application deadline is March 1, 2017.
The AAVMC is presenting a webinar on “The Road to Veterinary School” Friday, September 16th, at 1:00 pm EST.
I am pleased to once again bring to your attention an excellent summer program for students who wish to pursue the combined MD-PhD degree.
Gateways to the Laboratory Summer Program in New York City for Pre-MD/PhD Students
• Ideal for students who wish to pursue the combined MD-PhD degree (this program is run by the Weill Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan-Kettering Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program).
• 10 weeks of independent research at either Weill Cornell Medical College, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center or The Rockefeller University (all in NYC).
• Present & participate in weekly journal clubs
• Scrub into surgeries at New York Presbyterian Hospital.
• Give an oral, written and poster presentation of your research in front of your family (who are flown in for the event), friends and colleagues.
• Receive on going mentorship by your “Big Sib” (a current MD-PhD student), as well as weekly meetings with the Program’s leadership.
• Receive a stipend of $4,300 (minus the cost of housing).
• Gateways alumni are accepted and matriculate in the top MD-PhD Programs in the country!
For further information (including eligibility) and an on-line application, please visit our website:
Please note, our application deadline is February 1, 2014.
• Freshman and sophomores (at time of application) only.
• Underrepresented minority, disabled and/or disadvantaged backgrounds
• US Citizens/Permanent Residents
• Students who wish to pursue the combined MD-PhD degrees after college.