**The EARLY submission of complete and comprehensive centralized applications is strongly encouraged.**
Key Dates for AMCAS (MD)
American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) Opens for MD Applicants – May 2, 2017
Submission of applications allowed – June 1, 2017
First batch of processed and verified applications transmitted to MD Schools – June 30, 2017
Additional information can be found at https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/applying-medical-school-process/applying-medical-school-amcas/ in the month of April.
Key AACOMAS Dates/DO Applicant Information
American Association of Schools of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS) Opens for Completion and Submission – May 4, 2017
First batch of processed and verified applications transmitted to DO Schools – June 15, 2017
Academic Update (Coursework) Periods:
- Sept 1, 2017 – Oct 13, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 – Feb 15, 2018
- Mar 15, 2018 – Apr 13, 2018
More information about Academic Update is included below.
Updates for the 2017-2018 AACOMAS Cycle
- Repeat Coursework Policy Change
Effective May 1, 2017, AACOMAS will include all course attempts in the GPA calculation. This change applies to students matriculating into the 2018-2019 academic year. In the event of multiple attempts of the same course, AACOMAS will no longer drop initial course attempts from the GPA calculation. Osteopathic medical schools may continue recalculating and weighing applicant GPAs per their established admissions practices. The scope of this policy change is limited to the AACOMAS verified GPA calculation. For additional information, see the full notice.
College Information Resources
- AACOM plans to create online content about each US college of osteopathic medicine available on the AACOM website by the end of April. More CIB content will also be digitally loaded onto the website. As in previous cycles, all paid members of NAAHP will receive a complimentary copy of the 2018 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (CIB) in the mail by the end of May. The 2017 CIB is available online at www.aacom.org/cib.
Tips for Applying
- Apply Early (but don’t rush!)
While AACOMAS opens for submissions on May 4, colleges do not begin receiving and reviewing files until June 15. While applying early (by August 1) increases an applicant’s chances of obtaining an interview at a college of osteopathic medicine, students are still encouraged take their time in carefully completing their application.
- Fee Waivers
A limited number of AACOMAS fee waivers are available at the start of each cycle. AACOM plans to allocate additional funds for fee waivers this cycle, but traditionally, funds are exhausted by July. Once approved for a fee waiver, applicants must submit their application within 14 days (including holidays and weekends). For these reasons, advisors should encourage applicants to carefully review all fee waiver instructions and adjust their application timeline accordingly.
- FAQ: Missing Official MCAT Scores
Questions about missing official MCAT scores are one of the most frequent reasons for contacting AACOMAS customer service. Submitting official MCAT scores to AACOMAS is a 2-step process:
- Applicants must accurately self-report their name, date of birth, and AAMC ID (distributed upon taking the MCAT exam) in the AACOMAS application.
- Applicants must visit the MCAT Score Reporting System website and electronically release official scores to AACOMAS.
- Academic Update (Coursework) Periods
Academic Update enables applicants to enter newly completed or planned courses in their application after it has been submitted and verified. Failing to submit updated coursework may delay a college’s review of the applicant’s file. Encourage applicants to submit updates and final transcripts to AACOMAS during the designated Academic Update Periods outlined above.
Contacting Customer Service
- Applicant Customer Service
Questions about the AACOMAS application or the Evaluator Portal (letters/references) should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 612-2889 Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm ET.